Several years ago, I bought an old beat up Ring King arcade machine, and converted it to a mame machine. At the time, I lacked the tools and space to do anything more than build a control panel for it and fit it with a TV and a computer. Shortly after I started working on that, I started designing a custom 4 player showcase cabinet with my brother Scott. Initially, it was going to be fit with a 35" CRT TV, and then when LCD panels started coming down in price, we redesigned for a 42" LCD TV. I was responsible for the PC work and the design, Scott was responsible for the electronics and a good bit of the woodworking.
When we finally started building it, a friend donated a 50" plasma display, so another minor redesign was required. What we ended up with is an absolute MONSTER of a mame machine.
- 1. Modular design. Despite being close to 8 feet tall, the cabinet is built in 5 major parts, easily fits through most doors and assembly is completely tool-less.
- 2. 50" plasma display :)
- 3. Multiple control panels, including a 4 player fight panel and a "frankenpanel" with tank sticks, trackball and spinner/tron controls
- 4. Aimtrak guns for shooters.
- 5. Extra control panel clamps out of the way when not in use.
- 6. Control panels are completely self contained and can be used with other computers
- 7. Computer is built in a special tray and can be removed easily for upgrades.
- 8. Cupholders.
- 9. Runs Mala FE with custom skin.
Below are random pics from the build process, which was recently completed. In the future, we will organize this into a proper build log. For now, there are notes on some of the pics
The following images are the background images I designed for Mala front-end.